Friday, May 7, 2010

"Stress is nothing more than a socially acceptable form of mental illness." -Richard Carlson

Today I am capable of handling anything that comes my way.

How often do we say that to ourselves, at the start of every day? I know it's not something I'm used to. If you're like me, I wake up stressing out about getting on time to everything, making everyone happy, getting all my work done, and worrying about what I'm going to mess up. Not once have I ever woken up and given myself a booster shot of confidence to kick off the day.

At the end of the day, what does stressing out about everyone and everything really get me? Aggravated, exhausted, and strung out trying to meet unrealistic deadlines or goals I've set for myself or trying to make others happy at the expense of myself.

Break it down: the cranky patient that comes in 15 minutes late? Doable. A busy schedule booked solid? One patient at a time. Needing to leave work early to get home to get daughter ready for a soccer game that could potentially be played in the snow tonight, if the forecast is accurate? I'm working through lunch and I'll dress warm. It can all be handled.

No comments:

Post a Comment